Built: 1939 Declared: 03/09/2011
Built in 1939 and located in West Hills, this one-story single-family residence was designed by master architect Paul R. Williams (1894-1980) in the Ranch Style. One of the foremost architects of Los Angeles in the mid-twentieth century, Williams was the first certified African-American architect west of the Mississippi River, the first African-American member of the American Institute of Architects, and also served on the first Los Angeles Planning Commission. The residence was built for Talton R. Craig, founder of the Craig Movie Supply Company. The home was built as the primary residence of Craig’s 29-acre Peppergate Ranch, later subdivided in the 1960s as Woodlake Estates and Pinelake Estates.