Charles H. Greenshaw Residence, Los Angeles Historic Cultural Monument #565
Built: 1906 Declared: 08/25/1992
Built in 1906, this Mission Revival home may have been the last Southern California building designed by famed architect Joseph Cather Newsom, best known for his earlier Victorian works such as the Sessions House on Caroll Avenue in Angeleno Heights (Historic Cultural Monument #52). Newsom’s main office was in San Francisco and after the Great 1906 Earthquake, he closed his Southern California office to concentrate on rebuilding the Bay Area cities. The home is surmounted by ornate Mission gables. Newsom was no stranger to the Garvanza area, having been hired in 1886 to construct several buildings, including Miller’s Hall (demolished 1959) and the McClure House (Historic Cultural Monument #107).