Heritage Square Museum (Contributed to nomination), Los Angeles Historic Cultural Monument #1009
Built: 1969 Declared: 12/16/2011
(Pictured – Hale House at the Heritage Square Museum) The Heritage Square Museum was established in 1969. The open-air museum is located on a 10- acre parcel owned by the City of Los Angeles approximately halfway between Pasadena and Downtown Los Angeles. The site was originally set aside for the relocation of two Los Angeles HCMs, Donovan‘s Castle and the Saltbox (#27 and #5, respectively). Unfortunately, the two buildings were both destroyed by fire after being relocated to Heritage Square in October of the same year. Despite their loss, the Cultural Heritage Commission went on to establish the site for other endangered monuments. Hale House (#40) was the first to relocate in 1970, followed by the Shaw Residence (#65) in 1971 and the Palms Railroad Depot (#22), John J. Ford (#108) and William Hayes Perry Residence (#98) in 1975. Heritage Square acquired the Osborn Carriage Barn from the Huntington Memorial Hospital Site and the Lincoln Avenue Methodist Church from the United States Post Office in 1981. In 1986, the Octagon House was given to the Museum by the City of Pasadena. Other acquisitions include the interior of an early 20th century drug store and soda fountain, a trolley car and railway car. Many of the buildings at Heritage Square are eligible for designation on the National and California Registers. All of the main buildings relocated to the site date from 1879 to the 1910s and together with constructed pathways, fountains and gardens, convey to visitors a sense of the Victorian era in Los Angeles.