Fifth Church of Christ Scientist, Los Angeles Historic Cultural Monument #1097
Built: 1959 Declared: 12/02/2015
This example of Mid-Century Modern ecclesiastical architecture, located in Hollywood at the corner of La Brea Avenue, was built in 1959, following the demolition of the original church at the site, built in 1916 in the Neoclassical style. Architect Howard George Elwell designed the 22,000 square foot building with a large rounded corner element, correlating with the interior altar. The building, which features simple geometric volumes and horizontal massing, retains a high level of integrity and many original materials and finishes.